DEFINING THE MEDIA
Sumber : Michael O’ Shaughnessy and Jane Stadler. 2002.Media and Society an Introduction, 2 ed. New York: Oxford University Press. Ch. 1.
- MEDIA CHARACTERISTIC
- HUMAN COMMUNICATIONS SYSTEM
- BUILT ON POPULARITY
- COMMUNICATION ACROSS DISTANCE
- CONNECT THE SENDER AND THE RECEIVER
- PROFITABLE INDUSTRIES
- HISTORICAL DEVELOPMENTS
1. THE PRINTING PRESS
- Abad 16
- Pamflet,buku, surat kabar
2. The Printing technologies
- Akhir abad 18 awal abad 19
- Abad literer
3. Explosion of communication system and technologies
- Akhir abad 19 dan pertengahan abad 20
- The media are our main source of knowledge and intertaintment and are part of very structure of our lives
4. We truly live in a ‘media-world
- Abad 20 hingga kini
ECONOMIC AND SOCIAL DETERMINANTS
- What brought about these technological changes and developments?
- The main answer is: the media develop in economic and social frameworks, with economic and social determinants
- The media are technologically developed and economically profitable forms of human communication, held either in public or private ownership, which can transmit information and entertainment across time and space to large group of people.